Embattled A-Leagues club Western United is officially defunct after the Federal Court ordered its management group be wound up in insolvency.
Lawyers for the club had sought an adjournment to proceedings, claiming they had found a fresh $15 million investment to pay off their debts.
But on Friday afternoon, the adjournment, and with it a late attempt to save a club which had been in financial turmoil for months, was dismissed.
Judicial Registrar Robyn Curnow issued orders for Western United Football Club, WMG Holdings and three other companies owned by director Jason Sourasis to be wound up in insolvency.
Facing a tax bill amid concerns over unpaid wages and superannuation -- and while under a FIFA registration ban -- Western were stripped of their A-League licence by Football Australia (FA) earlier this month.
FA's move followed continued delays to a takeover deal with American-based investors KAM, run by property tycoons Maciek and Mikhail Kaminski, which ultimately fell through.
KAM ultimately withdrew their bid for Western on Wednesday following FA's decision to revoke the Tarneit-based club's licence, in a hammer blow to their hopes of survival.
On Thursday, Western's lawyer Bridget Slocum said Western had secured promises of a fresh cash injection from JC Capital which could be paid in "three to four weeks".
Slocum said the investment was contingent on the club being reinstated to the A-League and the club be allowed to pay off its creditors and the ATO over the next "six to 12 months".
But those hopes were swiftly dismissed on Friday afternoon.
United was announced as an expansion club in 2018 and joined the A-League Men (ALM), ahead of the 2019-20 season.
Under John Aloisi, they won the ALM championship in 2021-22 while they joined A-League Women in 2022-23.
AAP has contacted the Australian Professional Leagues and Football Australia for comment.